Emil L. Samuels
Emil L. Samuels joined Kelner and Kelner in 1991. He concentrates his practice in all types of personal injury matters, including motor vehicle accidents, premises liability, and municipal liability.
As a trial lawyer with the firm, Mr. Samuels has successfully represented our clients in both State and Federal courts. Mr. Samuels has written and argued appeals in the Appellate Courts in the First and Second Departments. Mr. Samuels lectures on the topics within the field of negligence at the annual CLE weekend at St. John's University School of Law.
Among his many accomplishments, Mr. Samuels recently obtained a $12.5 million verdict in Queens County for a man injured in a bus accident. He also won a $4 million verdict in NY County for a woman struck by a commercial van; this was a top 10 largest verdict in New York State in 2020.
Mr. Samuels has also obtained a $5 million settlement for the wrongful death of a husband arising out of a building fire and negotiated a $3.8 settlement for a child who sustained burns in a fire while residing in a city shelter. He also successfully obtained a settlement of $3.8 million for the wrongful death of a construction worker who died after falling from a defective scaffold, and obtained a $2 million recovery in federal court for the wrongful death of a merchant seaman.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Mr. Samuels worked as a legislative assistant in the office of the New York State Assembly Deputy Majority Leader where he was responsible for the drafting and shepherding of legislation. In 2000, he ran for the NY State Assembly in the 17th Assembly District in Nassau County, New York. Currently, Mr. Samuels serves as an elected Village Justice in Nassau County, New York.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Construction Accidents
- Construction Site Labor Law
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Trucking Accidents
- Premises Liability
- New Jersey, 1990
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1990
- New York, 1991
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1991
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1991
- United States Supreme Court, 2017
- St. John's University School of Law
- Queens College, City University of New York, Flushing, New York
- Major: Political Science - Communications Arts and Sciences
- CLE Weekend - Negligence, Basics and Beyond, St John's Univ. School of Law, 2011 to Present
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
Past Employment Positions
- Office of the New York State Assembly Deputy Majority Leader, Legislative Assistant
- Justice, East Williston Village Court, Nassau County, NY